- Keep soil moist on seed beds.
- Check rhubarb stems and remove any flowering centre stems.
- Earth up any potatoes planted last month.
- Be aware of sunshine causing overheating greenhouses.
David Hackett has sent in this photo of spring blooms in his garden.
Christine Goodey has sent in these spring in bloom photos.
- Earth up potatoes.
- Plant container grown fruit bushes.
- Plant out Brussels sprout plants.
- Keep an eye out for signs of early pests (slugs, aphids) and late frosts, and take appropriate actions.
David Hackett has sent in these photographs showing the various varieties of his beautiful daffodils.
Member Tony King has taken these delightful photos of the garden where he works as a full time gardener. He works in a 2.5 acre garden with 5 acres of paddocks.
- Apply fertilizer to vegetable plots.
- Plant vegetable seeds in a greenhouse.
- Sow winter brassicas in trays.
- Give lawns their first cut if ready.
- Break down any lumps of soil on dug beds.
- Plant early potatoes.
- Plant onion and leek seeds in a greenhouse.
- Prune autumn raspberries.
Barbara Robinson submitted this photo of a lovely bowl of Miniature Iris that she has grown in her greenhouse. She took the photo on the 17th February. There are 100 bulbs in the pot but unfortunately she can’t find the variety name for you.
- Clean greenhouse glass to allow in maximum light.
- Sow greenhouse tomatoes and peppers at the end of the month.
- Chit seed potatoes.
- Wash pots and seed trays with soapy water.
- Plan which vegetables you will grow where this year.